Ethics: Live Video Interview with Ex-CPA Ex-Partner Scott London
This event may be a rebroadcast of a live event and the instructor will be available to answer your questions either during or after the event. Learning Objectives: Find out how and why ethical CPAs do unethical things. Program Content:
This interview took place last June, just before London was set to go to prison. To see a brand new interview with London now that he is out of prison, click here.
In this in-depth look into the mind of an ethical CPA who destroyed his career, Zeune & Ickert probed London about:
- Detailed analysis of the many AICPA ethics rules London violated.
- Detailed analysis of which new “Clarified Professional Ethics Standards” he would have violated had they been in effect, focusing on the new requirement to maintain confidentiality.
- How background, family culture and personal pressure combined to cause the train wreck.
- Why he slid down the slippery slope from regional partner.
- Make friend - go directly to jail. (apologies to Monopoly)
- Did London know it was wrong?
- How London passed inside information.
- How was the information used?
- Why didn't London understand the risk?
- How he structured the information to avoid detection.
- Did pressure at work contribute to his downfall?
- The cost to his firm.
- What it's like to be an FBI target.
- How he got caught.
- How to decide to plead guilty or go to trial.
- The reaction of London's firm.
- The devastation to his family.
- How London surrendered his CPA license.
- What it's like to negotiate a plea with the US attorney.
- Being on the evening news when you don't want to be.
- What it's like to have news vans parked in front of your house.
- It's only money - why prison?
- What was his sentence and where would he serve time?
- Lawsuits, retirement, shame...is there life after release?
- The one question that would have stopped London cold.
Watch news video clips about London:Who should attend: CPAs in public practice, business and industry, managing partners, compliance officers, chief learning officers, risk managers, and regulators Developed By: The Pros & The Cons, LLC Instructor: Gary Zeune, CPA MAcct and Heinz Ickert, CPA interview Scott London CPE Credit: 4 Field of Study: Behavioral Ethics Prerequisites: None Advanced Preparation: None Format: Group-Internet-Based