Succession Planning for CPA Firms: When, How and With Whom?
Course Code: LGSPFAF1 Program Level: Intermediate Description: This CPE session will speak to the topic that is (or should be) on the minds of many owners and/or partners of tax and accounting firms. Succession will happen - you cannot stop it - but it would be most beneficial if it can happen on your terms. We will review many considerations that are critically important when thinking of succession planning: culture, opportunity, value, staff, clients and, last but not least, you and your legacy. This session will speak to the “do’s and don’ts” and the “why’s and won’ts” of succession planning. Learning Objectives: You will likely only transition your practice once, and the purpose of this session is to answer many important questions that any owner or partner should consider prior to beginning the process of succession planning or speaking to another firm about succession. Program Content:
Many questions will be addressed during this session which include but are not limited to:
- What are the key succession planning strategies?
- When should I start and why does my book of business determine this?
- What is the perfect fit with respect to a successor firm?
- How do I get a premium for my practice?
- What is the impact of current industry demographics on the value of my practice?
- What are the 5 major variables for determining practice value and how do they impact me?
- Why your CPA friend should not necessarily be your successor
- What are the Rules, Roles, Responsibilities and expected Realization of a good succession plan?
- What due diligence should I perform if I am selling or transitioning my practice?
- Answers to the questions—When, How and With Whom?
Who should attend: Owners/partners of tax and accounting firms that are considering a sale, merger or affiliation with another firm for purposes of succession within the next 1-5 years. Developed By: Prosperitas Advisors, LLC Instructor: Lon M. Goforth CPE Credit: 1 Field of Study: Business Management & Organization Prerequisites: None Advanced Preparation: None Format: Group-Internet-Based